The following is the ultimate guide for finding the best deal:
1. Follow airlines on Facebook and Twitter – Most airlines alert customers to sales and specials via social media. Jetstar Australia gives fans access to sale fares 24 hours before they are available on its website. AirAsia also gives fans a couple of days notice before a big sale starts.
2. Book early – The earlier you book your ticket, the more you can save, especially during the peak travel times such as Christmas and School Holidays. Plan ahead and book early to save.
3. Buy flights at 4pm on a Friday – A lot of airlines release their weekly sales on Friday afternoons. Often when an airline drops its price others respond as well and multiple price drops can occur between competing carriers.
4. Fly with lesser known airlines – If you are prepared to fly with a lesser known airline you can find some good bargains.
5. Consider a package deal – Ask your travel agent about a package deal that includes flights and accommodation. The flights in these deals are sometimes specially discounted airfares that are only available to travellers when booked as part of a package.
6. Sign up to newsletters – signing up to email newsletters is a great way to find out about early bird specials and the latest sale fares.
7. Travel outside the peak season – A simple but effective way to save money is to avoid the peak travel times. These are usually Christmas, Easter and School Holidays. Consider flying midweek as cheaper fares are often available if you travel on Tuesday or Thursday.
8. Check out websites such as jetabroad.com.au, zuji.com.au and wotflight.com. These are the best comparison sights according to consumer group Choice.
I hope these tips help you find the best cheap deal on your next flight. Do you have any tips that you wish to share with us?
More tips on how to save money in Japan at Japan on a Budget