Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
1 cup self-raising flour
2 tbsp cornflour
1 ½ cups iced water
½ tsp salt
Extra self-raising flour for coating
1. Combine flour, cornflour and iced water and whisk to a slightly lumpy batter. Add more water if you want a slightly thinner batter but authentic Japanese tempura is slightly lump.
2. Place extra flour and vegetables into a plastic bag and shake to coat vegetables.
3. Dip vegetables in batter.
4. Heat oil until a faint haze appears and cook vegetables in batches until batter crisps.
5. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with a low sodium soy sauce and pickled ginger.
In Japan we use tempura batter with vegetables like onion, potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, shitake mushrooms, green pepper and carrot. It also works great with prawns and white fish.
Easy To Follow Steps To Create Over 108 Top Japanese Recipes!