This is a world famous Japanese dish, but in Japan there are quite a few varieties based on regional differences. Cooking is always done at the table for this dish in Japan, and it is a great Party favourite.
Sukiyaki is usually served with steamed rice as an accompaniment.
• 1/3 cup caster sugar
• 3 tbsp mirin
• 1/3 cup soy sauce
• 500g dashi
• 600g Scotch filet or sirloin steak, finely sliced
• 1 packet momen (firm tofu), cut into small cubes
• 8 shitake mushrooms
• 4 spring onions
• ¼ Chinese cabbage
• 1 packet udon noodles, cooked and drained
• 4 eggs
• vegetable oil
1. Prepare meat, vegetable and noodles and place on a large plate.
2. Break eggs into individual bowls and lightly beat.
3. Make the Sukiyaki Sauce by combining all the ingredients.
4. Oil the pan and start cooking by sautéing the spring onion, add some of the beef, followed by small portions of the other ingredients and the sukiyaki sauce, a little at a time. Make space for further ingredients by pushing the cooked ones to one side.
5. As the food cooks, guests can serve themselves by dipping the hot food into the beaten raw egg and eating with a bowl of rice.
• Other ingredients can also be added to the dish such as enoki or shimeji mushrooms.
Easy To Follow Steps To Create Over 108 Top Japanese Recipes!
This recipe is taken from the book Japanese Cooking at Home