Japan Australia Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Picture of the Week Usuzumi Sakura, Neo Village, Japan

Neo village located amongst the mountains in Gifu Prefecture is home to one of the three largest cherry blossom trees in Japan. The Usuzumi Sakura or Cherry Blossom in Neo Village is said to have been planted in 487 AD and as such is reported to be the oldest cherry blossom tree in Japan. This unique cherry blossom initially sprouts pale pink flowers, which become white in full bloom. The tree has been appointed as a National Natural Monument of Japan and is one of the great places to visit in Gifu.

Here is a picture of the magnificent tree, which is over 1,500 years old, stands 17.2 meters in height, and 9.2 meters in circumference.


There are also many other magnificent cherry blossoms in the area and park around Usuzumi Sakura and there is a lot to do and see there.




 
The Secrets Of Speaking Japanese Fluently

This is my entry for this week's Show Me Japan

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful entry! I would love to visit this place ^o^ looks so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mika-chan,

    It is a great place and one of my favourites to visit in the Spring with all the beautiful Cherry Blossoms in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a historic cherry blossom tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is impressive. Cherry blossoms are something I miss a lot, when I'm away from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lina and Wasaweb,

    It is a great place and I recommend you check it out if you are ever in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd definitely make a note of this for our future travel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning pictures! I love that 1,500 year old tree - it's the kind of thing I'd want to run up and touch just to feel "the history"...then get chased away by angry guards. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ri, it is a fantastic place. Funny I didn't notice any guards there, so I guess they usually don't have any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad this was entered into Show Me Japan for the week - more people will see it.
    Re: the guards - that's because I've not been there yet! XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ri, It is a great place to visit and take many photos. Yes, it is kind of unusual that a place of such historical importance doesn't have more protection!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how one of the oldest cherry trees is in "Neo" village.

    Yeah, I know it's Ne-o & not "new".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kyushudan, close but no cigar :)

    ReplyDelete

Share This via Social Media

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...