• 600g minced beef
• 4 Tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 1 egg, beaten
• 3 Tbsp chopped spring onions
• 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
• 2cm knob ginger, finely grated
• 1 tsp sugar
• sea salt and pepper
• 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 2 onions, halved and finely sliced
• 2 Tbsp mirin (Japanese rice wine)
• 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
• 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
• 1 tsp chilli sauce
• 4 burger buns
• 2 tsp sesame seeds
• 8 soft lettuce leaves
• ½ cucumber, finely sliced
• 2 small tomatoes, sliced
1. Mix the beef, using your hands, with 2 Tbsp soy sauce, sesame oil, egg, green onions, garlic, ginger, sugar, salt and pepper. Form into patties and refrigerate for an hour.
2. Heat 2 Tbsp vegetable oil in a frying pan and cook onions over a medium heat for 10 minutes, tossing well until softened.
3. Add remaining soy, mirin and vinegar to the pan and cook 5-10 minutes more until golden brown. Set aside.
4. Whisk mayonnaise and chilli sauce together.
5. Brush burger patties with remaining vegetable oil and grill or pan fry over a medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side, until browned.
6. Split burger buns and lightly grill.
7. Top base buns with lettuce leaves and burger patties. Add a spoonful of chilli mayonnaise and top with soy onions and sesame seeds.
8. Arrange lettuce, cucumber and tomato on remaining bun tops alongside and serve.
With the help of Epicure, The Age 2011
Easy To Follow Steps To Create Over 108 Top Japanese Recipes!