The weather is hot and sticky, which is perfect for the summer festivals.
A few of my favourite summer activities in Japan
• Enjoying the various fireworks (hanabi) festivals all around Japan.
• Heading to the mountains to beat the summer heat. A favourite retreat is Kamikochi and Karuizawa in Nagano.
• Hiking in the beautiful mountains of Gifu/Nagano.
• Soaking in an onsen (hot spring) after a long hot day.
• Eating festival food like yakisoba (stir fried noodles), yakitori (grilled chicken), takoyaki (octopus dumplings), grilled corn on the cob and chocolate coated banana are just a few of my favourites.
• Gujo Obon Odori Festival in Gifu – dating back 400 years this traditional dance festival lasts for 31 nights and even goes on all night in mid-August.
• Climbing Mount Fuji, which can only be done during the summer months of 1 July to 31 August. I've yet to do this but it is on my bucket list.
• Rocking out at the summer music festivals such as The Fuji Rock Festival and Summer Sonic in Tokyo. This year’s line-up at Fuji Rock includes (Radiohead, Jack White, Noel Gallagher and The Stone Roses).
On a side note, this is my 400th post :) It has been a great 2+ year journey on this blog and look forward to many new posts.